Friday, January 4, 2013

a stitch in time

It took me a few years to figure out what the saying "A stitch in time" meant. A stitch in time saves nine. It means that the sooner you mend or reinforce something that is weakened or torn, the less time and resources you'll have to put into repairing/replacing it later.
 
On new years' day I spent about an hour repairing some things that no one will ever see. Long undies for my husband had somehow gotten a hole and although he wears them under his clothes, well, you never know who might have occasion to see them. . . knock on wood. The other item was a pair of pants hubby wears around the house. They were khakis he used to wear to work. I sewed up the torn leg and tried my best to patch the turned up cuffs with cuff and collar of an old shirt of mine.
 
It's not the best patch job. I'm no seamstress. But those pants weren't good enough to donate and weren't bad enough to throw away. Hopefully he'll get a year's more wear out of them.
 
What have you done to save money/resources lately?

No comments:

Post a Comment